Dry January is a campaign that has been gaining steam in recent years here in Orlando – it encourages people to abstain from drinking alcohol for the month of January, aiming to help people reset their relationship with alcohol and improve their health.
Participants are encouraged to take a break from drinking to give their bodies a chance to recover from the excesses of the holiday season, and to consider the impact that alcohol has on their lives.
Abstaining from alcohol can have a number of benefits for one’s health and well-being. Some of the potential benefits of alcohol abstention include:
- Improved liver health: The liver is responsible for breaking down alcohol, and heavy drinking can lead to fatty liver, hepatitis, and cirrhosis. Abstaining from alcohol can allow the liver to heal and reduce the risk of liver damage.
- Lower risk of heart disease: Alcohol can increase blood pressure and contribute to heart disease. Abstaining from alcohol can help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Improved brain health: Heavy drinking can cause shrinkage of the brain and memory loss. Abstaining from alcohol can help prevent brain damage and improve cognitive function.
- Increased safety: Alcohol impairs judgement and reaction time, increasing the risk of accidents and injuries. Abstaining from alcohol can help reduce the risk of accidents and injuries.
- Weight loss: Alcohol is high in calories and can contribute to weight gain. Abstaining from alcohol can help with weight loss.
It’s important to note that the benefits of abstaining from alcohol will vary depending on the individual and their specific health needs and concerns. Consulting a healthcare professional can help determine the potential benefits of abstaining from alcohol for a particular individual.
Here are the Best Places in Orlando to get your Mocktail on for Dry January
“At Cuba Libre, our signature cocktail – the mojito – can be made as a non-alcoholic version known as a no-jito. Just like our classic cocktail, this mocktail is made using fresh-pressed sugar cane (known as guarapo), fresh-squeezed lime juice, mint, and lemon-lime soda. Flavors of nojitos listed below. Also, Mojito Mondays, we offer pitchers of the nojitos for $15! You get 6 glasses in a pitcher and the specials are all day every Monday (bar and dining). That’s in addition to pitchers of the classic mojito and sangria for $25 (and flavored mojito pitchers for $30) on Mojito Mondays.”
The Hampton Social:
- The Shoreline – Spiced Strawberry, Pink Grapefruit
- Sand Dunes & Sunsets – Yuzu Lime, Cayenne, Gold
- The Lighthouse – Sicilian Lemonade, Rosemary
- Sparkling Rose – non-alcoholic with notes of peach, strawberry, and pear
- Cotton Candy Shirley – Ginger ale, grenadine, cherries, gummies, sour rainbow strip, cotton candy
- Classic Shirley
- Stir Lobby Bar – Pace Horse: Turmeric, Lime, Ginger Elixir, Club Soda, garnished with Purple Basil
- Amare (signature restaurant) – Spritz de Passione: Lyre’s Italian Spritz, N/A Sparkling Wine, Mango, garnished with Mixed Berries
Four Flamingos: Mocktail versions of Signature Cocktails
- Get Toasted: Siesta Key Toasted Coconut Rum, Tempus Fugit Banana Liqueur, Coconut Cream, Pineapple, Cinnamon Bark Syrup (made/infused in-house)
- The Filthy Flamingo: Siesta Key Rum, Papa’s Pilar Dark Rum, Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur, Strawberry-Orgeat Syrup (made/infused in-house), Guava, Lime
- Name of Mocktail: Smoke & Mirrors
- Description: Pineapple Juice, lemon juice, lime juice, orgeat
- Name of Mocktail: Apple Propellant
- Description: Apple cider, honey, lemon juice, ginger ale
- Name of Mocktail: Heir of the God
- Description of beverage: A blend of passion fruit, pineapple, ginger and lemon, creating a hydrating and tropical beverage with notes of spice.
- “Our mocktails have always been among guests’ favorites all year long regardless of good resolutions. With that being said, we are definitely seeing a rise among them versus regular cocktails now, as Dry January has kicked off. For instance, our ‘Heir of the God,’ with its topical and spicy notes, is having a strong peak right now, selling more than ever before.” Ahmed Yahi, Mixology Creative Director, Riviera Dining Group
- Name of Mocktail: The Milky Way
- Description: Chilled Espresso, Spiced Brown Sugar Syrup, Caramel, Cream, Milky Way, and includes a pack of Space 220 collectible trading cards
- “This sweet, coffee-flavored mocktail is popular with kids and adults alike, and as a special bonus comes with a pack of our exclusive Space 220 trading cards.” – Jason Petrina, General Manager of Space 220
- Name of Mocktail: Lightyear Lemonade
- Description: Fresh-Squeezed Lemonade, Butterfly Pea Tea, Mint, and includes a pack of Space 220 collectible trading cards
- “Lightyear Lemonade is incredibly refreshing and pairs perfectly with our out-of-this-world appetizers and entrees.” – Jason Petrina, General Manager of Space 220
- Name of Mocktail: Moon Rocks
- Description: Coconut, Blue Cotton Candy Syrup, Lemonade, Moon Dust, Moon Rocks, and includes a pack of Space 220 collectible trading cards
- “Moon Rocks is a fun concoction for all ages! The moon rocks pop in your mouth as you sip the sweet drink. Plus, you receive a pack of our exclusive Space 220 trading cards when you order.” – Jason Petrina, General Manager of Space 220
More about the Mocktail Trend
Sober Curious – The Growing Mocktail Trend
Mocktails are at the top of everyone’s must-Google list right now, and with good reason
– it’s the trend that keeps on trending! From sober-curious Gen Z trendsetters, to new
parents, to colleagues looking for a lighter post-work drink, there are many reasons why
non-alcoholic cocktails enjoy an extended stay in the limelight. In short, it’s the drink
choice that works in every social setting, guaranteed.
The Mixer has identified five key reasons as to why many people are
choosing to enjoy mocktails instead of cocktails, both occasionally or as a rule.
1. Feeling fresh the morning after
When you have a big day the next day, or simply want to feel fresh when you get up
after a night out or in with your mates, the mocktail route is a great way to go. You get to
have a bunch of fun, and the next day you are still ready to tackle that presentation or
hop on your bike to hit the trails without any lingering side effects.
2. Keeping things clean
Not everyone is well suited to drinks that contain alcohol. Some don’t like the way it
makes them feel, while others may have addictive tendencies that make mocktails a
better option for them. Whatever the case may be, non-alcoholic cocktails provide these
fine humans with a grown-up drink option that looks fancier than a soda or a smoothie.
3. Boosting your diet with extra nutrients
When you choose mocktails with the right kind of ingredients, you can actually boost
your daily nutritional intake. At this point it has to be said, however, that while fruit is
wonderful (LOVE that vitamin A and C journey for us!), fruit sugars are still sugars. Keep
that in mind when you choose your non-alc cocktail.
4. Staying hydrated
Since alcohol is a diuretic (very simply, something that makes you go to the loo more
often), it can be a bit of a hurdle if you’re trying to stay hydrated. Mocktails, on the other
hand, can actually up your hydration levels if you enjoy the right kind.
5. Being budget-savvy on the town
Mocktails are also often quite a bit cheaper than their full-force cocktail counterparts
since they do not contain any alcohol. This is a nice way to save some pennies if you
have a tight budget when you’re headed out, or making drinks for guests at home.
About The Mixer
The Mixer is an all-in-one drinkspiration destination, powered by Campari Group, to
discover new ways to create sparkling and memorable moments with your loved ones
through quality cocktail making at home. From delicious recipes with expert tips to
trendy new serves and ideas, The Mixer encourages connectivity and good times,
whether you’re new to hosting or a cocktail pro. For cocktail recipes and advice, please