by Katherine Nguyen
All aboard the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey ® circus train!
On January 8, 2014, I received an amazing media opportunity to hop on the traveling diner of the Ringing Bros ® for a pie car tasting experience!
FUN FACTS ABOUT THE PIE CAR RINGLING BROS. AND BARNUM & BAILEY® BLUE UNIT
• The state-of-the-art Pie Car (dining car) boasts a custom built, all aluminum marine quality kitchen with induction cooking, slatted floors for steam cleaning, and high end freezer/refrigeration units.
• The Pie Car on the train and the Pie Car Jr., which serves meals at the arenas, prepares a combined total of 1,000-1,500 meals each week.
• The Pie Car is open daily from 6 a.m. -1 p.m. then reopens again at 6 p.m. for dinner service, which continues until one hour after the last bus
returns from the arenas following the final performance of the day. Meals are also prepared at the Pie Car, then served to performers at the “Jr.” during rehearsals and performances.
• On selected days, the Pie Car offers special dishes featuring favorite performer recipes representing the cuisines of their native countries. Approximately 30 countries are represented on the Blue Unit. The Pie Car Manager strives to create dishes that cater to everyone’s tastes.
• Whenever the train is moving, the Pie Car is open 24/7.
• Central Florida native Matt Loory is the Pie Car Manager for the Blue Unit. At age 23, he is one of the youngest PCM’s in Ringling Bros.
Pie Car Manager Matt Loory was born in Atlanta, but raised in Longwood, FL and considers Orlando his hometown.
At the age of 23 years old, Matt is one of the youngest Pie Car Managers in Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey ® history. The diverse circus family eats very well with the help of Matt where they eat meals influenced by cultures from around the world, giving them a taste of home.
Today, we were presented Huevos Loco-Motion to show what Matt would make the circus family for breakfast.
Next was the Popcorn Shrimp with Chipotle Mayo that was deep fried.
The Chicken Caprese Roulade was also served and was delicious to the eye and taste buds – With the chicken, there is mashed potatoes and Asian meatloaf.
Last but not least comes the dessert – However, Matt would NOT share any secret ingredient information on this dessert because it is TO DIE FOR!
Be sure to check out the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey ® while they’re in Orlando, FL this weekend.
What: The 144th edition of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus
Experience unimaginable family fun, as amazing performers from around the globe perform awe-inspiring feats of daring, spectacles of strength and thrills of wonder to
summon the mythical and the mysterious: a Unicorn, a Pegasus and a Woolly Mammoth! Join us for an unforgettable family night of legendary proportions! Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Presents LEGENDS!
When: 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Friday, 11:30 a.m., 3:30 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, 1 and 5 p.m. Sunday (Jan. 9-12)
Where: Amway Center, 400 W. Church St., Orlando
Call: 800-745-3000 (Ticketmaster)
RECIPES BY MATT LOORY PIE CAR MANAGER FOR THE BLUE UNIT, RINGLING BROS. AND BARNUM & BAILEY®
Chicken Caprese Roulade
1 Boneless/Skinless Chicken breast
1 bunch fresh basil
Place shredded mozzarella, basil, and olive oil in blender, blend until it has the
consistency of minced garlic, season with Salt and Pepper to taste.
Pound chicken flat, add newly made herb cheese to the breast and roll.
Bake in oven at 350 for roughly 80 minutes (until chicken I thoroughly cooked)
Garnish with a slice of tomato topped with a slice of fresh mozzarella and chopped basil.
Drizzle balsamic glaze over the top! Best served with a simple mushroom risotto.
1 flour tortilla
Assorted bell peppers
Chorizo (Thin Sliced)
Cheese (Monterrey/Cheddar Blend – Grated)
Pico di Gallo:
Bell Peppers, Onions, Tomatoes (Diced)
Apple Cider Vinegar
Combine all Ingredients
1. Peppers, Onions, & Chorizo on the grill- until vegetables are softened
2. Place combination on top of tortilla
3. Cook egg to Over Medium
4. Place on top of veg/chorizo mixture
5. Add cheese until melted
6. Plate and garnish with Pico di Gallo & Cilantro
Popcorn Shrimp with Chipotle Mayo
Secret Recipe of spices containing but not limited to: Brown Sugar, Cumin, Garlic Powder,
Onion Powder, Cayenne Pepper, & Old Bay
Chipotle Peppers canned
1. Coat shrimp thoroughly with Corn Starch- Deep Fry at 325
2. Toss in seasoning blend
1. Blend chipotle peppers with orange juice thoroughly
2. Add mayo & apple juice, blend together.
Garnish shrimp with chipotle mayo or serve on the side for a wonderful dipping sauce.
Asian Meatloaf with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes
80/20 Ground Beef
Salt & Pepper
Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
Wasabi Mashed Potatoes:
Mashed Potato Pearls
Salt & Pepper
Combine eggs, bread, beef, & onions to form a traditional meat loaf
Season with ginger, garlic powder, & salt and pepper and knead into the loaf.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, Garnish with Sweet Chili Sauce and rest for at least 5
Wasabi Mashed Potatoes:
Combine mashed potato pearls with wasabi powder.
Combine water with mashed potato pearls per instructions on packaging
Season with salt, pepper; if too much wasabi powder is used you can add sugar or cream
to neutralize the wasabi’s natural heat; this dish is about the flavor not the heat
Katherine Nguyen is a student at the University of Central Florida majoring in Molecular Biology and Microbiology and minoring in Health Service Administration with a goal of going to dental school. She enjoys playing soccer and has been captain of an intramural team for 3 years now at UCF. Photography is her number one hobby in which she has dabbled in the field since 2008; she is very diverse in the field, but her favorite sub-fields include portraits on location, nature, food, and sports photography. In her free time, she also tutors any subject in high school and middle school as well as volunteers at Camp Boggy Creek in Eustis, FL. Link: https://www.facebook.com/KatherineNPhotography