Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida is accustomed to providing tens of millions of meals each year in the fight against hunger, and this year, the need for donations is still heightened due to the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
As part of Hunger Action Month, Second Harvest is asking the community to help “Stock the Shelves” this September.
The month-long effort encourages Central Floridians to take action in the fight against hunger.
Second Harvest is also making it easy to get involved by featuring at-home and socially distanced activities, such as:
- Donate 30 non-perishable food items representing each day of the month
- Host a virtual food drive
- Sign up for a virtual “Food for Thought” tour on Sept. 14 or 28
- Wear orange on Sept. 17 for Hunger Action Day
- Donate $30 for 30 days of hunger
- Update your Facebook and Twitter profile/cover photos to spread the word
- Sign-up to volunteer
- Check out experiences like Jewel Orlando’s Dueling Pianos Speakeasy, Scream n Stream at Oviedo Mall and Paint for a Purpose at Calliope Street.
- Donate your Buy One, Get One (BOGO) deals after shopping
- Dine or shop at local establishments, such as Black Rooster Taqueria, Five Guys, Hourglass Brewing, The Coop, 4Rivers and Kendra Scott on select days; a portion of each sale will be donated to Second Harvest
Ways to get involved will also be posted on the nonprofit’s Facebook page throughout the month.
Second Harvest encourages participants to share how they’re helping “Stock the Shelves” on social media by using #StockTheShelves.
“The community is still reeling from the last 18 months, and with every donation we receive, we are able to provide more families with food so that they’re not faced with choosing between that and other critical items,” said Dave Krepcho, president and CEO of Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida.
“Don’t underestimate the power of donating, advocating or simply choosing to educate yourself. Every action taken this Hunger Action Month feeds hope in our community.”
To learn more about the “Stock the Shelves” campaign, Hunger Action Month and other ways to get involved with Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida, visit www.FeedHopeNow.org.