With the current coronavirus pandemic and subsequent quarantine / lockdown situation, people may be finding a lot of time on their hands right now. Why not whisk up some of the latest viral food trend – the Dalgona Whipped Coffee, made popular on social media by South Korean vloggers and the video app Tik Tok.
Dalgona is the name for a Korean toffee candy, brown-sugar-colored and cloud-like and the drink itself is similar to Indian beaten coffee or Greek frappe coffee. This is a super simple recipe that calls for just three ingredients – equal parts instant coffee, sugar, and hot water – whisked – over hot or cold milk. That’s it. Super easy.
Use a hand mixer to speed up the process, or a hand whisk if you have 20 minutes and want to develop powerful arms.
2 tablespoons instant coffee
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons hot water
1 cup milk – substitute with oat or other plant-based milk to make this recipe vegan friendly
Optional – dash of cinnamon, cocoa powder, or honey as toppings
Hand mixer or hand whisk
1. Add the instant coffee, sugar, and hot water in a mixing bowl
2. Whip the mixture until creamy and thick (ranges from 2 minutes by hand mixer to 20 minutes if by hand whisk)
3. Add dollops of the whipped Dalgona coffee on top of a glass of your desired milk
4. Sprinkle with cinnamon, cocoa powder, or honey as toppings if desired
5. Snap a photo to share on social media with hashtag #dalgonacoffeechallenge
6. Stir and enjoy